Monday, October 26, 2009

Stop it!


This is a campaign that I really like...it catches the eye and is profound in its simplicity. Stop it. Stop litter. So simple, and yet, why can't we do it.

But you know what I realized this year...we are ALL litter bugs. I mean, I turned 30 this year and I like to think now that I am absolved of all sins of comission or omission committed in my twenties. And in my twenties I did not think much about the problem of trash. But everytime we throw a bag away, it is like creating a little timecapsule to be buried in the earth for future generations. Scary huh? I guess I had the idea that all that stuff would "rot" and be gone after a few years in the trash dump. But no, turns out all that plastic pretty much preserves whatever is inside it forever! Ugh! So I am thinking a bit more about what I do with my trash!

So step 1 is easy: RECYCLE. And oh, I am ashamed at how easy it is! I already have to carry my trash to the conveneince center, so all recycling means for me is sorting some of my trash before taking it. And it is amazing how much space this gives you in your trash bags! If you don't throw anything stinky away, they last about twice as long in the kitchen can. I have just stuck a second can outside for plastics, glass, and cans. Also, this month I finally got a box for paper. So now I am set. I am really happy because my husband has gotten into it too! It thrilled my heart the first day he called to me holding a plastic bottle of some kind and said, "Isn't this recyclable? Where do I put it?" I am thrilled not because my husband is some kind of bum that I have to drag around on stuff, it made me happy because he was choosing to do this recylcing thing with me, and when we both decide to do something we are a powerful force. But when one of us is not on board our behavior tends to "resent to baseline" as I say at work.

Anyway, so we have gotten step one down. Step two is of course to minimize the stinkiness of the trash in the can by composting. I have not made it quite to that level, but I have started throwing food trash over the hill into the bramble a little ways from our house. That is the benefit of country living. But I have been reading some stuff on growing my own food, and composting can really help that process, so I am going to work on getting it set up over the winter so that I have some good compost started for Spring. Here is one instructional site about composting. This site says that 30% of waste comes from compostable yard and kitchen stuff. Man, what if everyone had a hill to chuck that stuff over, it would really reduce our trash! But also, compost is actually a valuable resource, so by putting in our plastic bags and burying it with our trash, it cannot be used for anything and is wasted!

So back to the issue of trash. I found a great blog that comments on the trash of Nashville. It is called "The Earth is Not a Trash Can" and she takes pictures of and comments on trash around town that she finds. She also includes informative articles and commentary. And it is important that places like Nashville think about the trash problem now, while there is no crisis, versus waiting until a crisis looms, like in places like Long Island New York or Naples, Italy.
Picking up trash and recylcing that trash or our own trash is a small first step to helping our world. Also, think about your trash. Is there someone who can use what you are about to throw away? Can it be fixed? Can it, or parts of it, be recylced? Could you use it for a few more months? Can it be flattend so that it takes up less space in the landfill? Just a few small ways we can do something good for our world.

Got any trash tips to add? I think you will see more posts on the issue of trash in the future, but this is just a start.

5 comments:

  1. I started a compost heap this year, and I have to say, it's been kind of fun to keep up with it and take care of it. First, finding out all the things that will work in the compost heap has been both fun and surprising (for example, coffee filters and grounds? Yes. Paper towels? Yes. Ashes? Yes, very good for the compost heap. Meat bits? No, because they attract wild animals (and make your heap very stinky). Grass clippings? You'd think yes, but the answer is actually more complex, because they make this nasty white mold, so if you're going to do it, you have to make sure to mix in lots of dead leaves and other browns, and keep the thing turned. Recently looked up "cat waste" because of our new cat . . . the answer there, by the way, is a big fat toxic no. Even dog waste CAN be composted with VERY great care and special attention, but cat waste never, never can. Okay gross.) I spent part of the weekend adding lots of leaves to my grassy (moldy) compost heap and turning it until it was all mixed in. Very satisfying, and I'll have good dirt for my garden come spring.

    I must confess, I find myself becoming more and more of a recycling fanatic by the day. I read this thing on a website about how to mess with people who have recycling guilt (like me):

    Recycler (finishing a soda): Do you recycle?

    You: No, we don't have a recycle bin. Just throw it in the trash.

    Recycler: Oh, uhh . . .(takes bottle to trash . . . hovers for an agonizing moment over the trash, knowing that if they do this, they'll think of that bottle all week, of how it's sitting in a landfill for all of time, all because of them.) Okay. (throws bottle away.)

    You: Ha ha, just kidding. We do recycle. The bin is under the sink.

    Recycler (relieved): Oh great! (Fishes bottle eagerly from the midst of wet, stinky trash and places it in the under-sink bin. Conscience saved!)

    As of about two weeks ago, I've actually started saving plastics 3-7 for trips to Knoxville, where supposedly they recycle all 1-7 plastics. So yeah, a bit of a fanatic. But again, I kind of find it fun most of the time . . . it's like an ongoing project for me. That seems to be your experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, great, now I am going to feel guilt until I start saving #3-7 to take to Knoxville too!! I love the story you told about the guilty recylcer. I have found myself out at places like church or the community center grabbing one of the many plastic bags that are floating around (under counters, in corners or hanging onto a treebranch outside...they are everywhere...) and filling it with soda bottles or cans or whatever plastics I think I can take home to recycle. It does become a fun obsession at times, but it makes you feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not at the point of evangelizing my recycle-hauling - yet. ;-) And yeah, that's exactly it; I don't think I would do it if I didn't find it fun - and maybe that's wrong, since we should do the right thing even when it's not fun, but it's great to me that for right now, it's fun to think about ways to recycle more and more, and it's fun to think, oh man, if I'm willing to store and haul, I can recycle 3-7 plastics that would have been thrown away before. I hope it stays fun - the compost heap certainly drifts in and out of being enjoyable. (Turning all the grass that was clumped together with white mold this weekend was NOT fun.)

    Oh, by the way, I've been meaning to tell you that I joined Johnson City Freecycle, which is a great source of item recycling. It's a good place to find craft materials too, at least sometimes. Here's Nashville freecycle:

    http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/Tennessee/Nashville

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have joined our freecycle here at your suggestion. Still have to figure out exactly how it works, but I like the idea. Keep me posted on how it goes if you use it for anything...giving or getting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have actually used it to give a decent amount of stuff away, both here and in DC. We gave away a desk chair, 2 TVs, an entertainment unit, and I'm currently collecting tin and aluminum cans for a woman who needs them for crafts.

    As you can imagine, it's easier to give than to get :-). But it was a real boon for us to be able to give our huge entertainment unit to someone who could actually haul it away within 48 hours! So far I don't think I've gotten anything - I see lots of good things on there, but often they're already taken before I even read the posts! Oh, around here at least, it's also a good way for folks to find homes for pets in need . . . I've seen lots of people post that they have a pet they can't keep anymore, and often those pets find homes within days.

    ReplyDelete