Monday, November 9, 2009

Meat Three Times a Week?: The Experiment


In college, it was the chicken nuggets. Now, we are not talking about good chicken nuggets. These were not homemade-from-golden-bird, chick-fil-a, or even McDonald's quality chicken nuggets. These were college cafeteria nuggets, grade E but edible meat, chicken lovingly referred to within our group as "sponge chicken." Yet this sad, spongy, piece of hyperprocessed meat leftovers was the thing that, over and over, kept me from my goal. That goal was to be a vegetarian.

Maybe the badness of the nuggets was the reason they were so appealing. If you're talking about a delicious, well-made chicken wrap on a spinach tortilla with dressing and fresh tomatoes, I mean, that makes you think about food. What could I do to capture all the fantastic qualities of this sandwich, but still skip the meat? Would a meat substitute work? What about a veggie patty? Felafel? Hummus? Or maybe it would be almost as good - just as good? - with no substitute at all. Just a few extra veggies and a good dose of dressing and maybe you've got the perfect wrap. Right?

Thinking about food is fun - and in fact, one of the most appealing parts of attempting vegetarianism for me is imagining new ways to cook foods both familiar and unfamiliar. How do you make a fritatta? What can I do with asparagus besides boil it? And how many of the million and one things you can do with a chickpea have I tried? But the point, my friends, of a chicken nugget is the EXACT OPPOSITE of this. A chicken nugget is not about thinking. It's about not thinking. It's about pulling up to a drive through window, taking the box of meat that the cashier gives you, and popping meat round after meat round into your drooling little mouth. Sounds gross, right? But oh no - it's so good.

Later in college, it was boil-in-a-bag chicken tikka marsala (I got that in England - you can't get the same thing in the states). Don't think, just boil - soooo good. (It really was.) Then after college, it was burger king at my work cafeteria; sure, you could get the veggie patty there, but it's so easy (and delicious) to just say, "Number one with cheese." In later life, it's been the ease of sticking something in the crockpot or oven or george forman grill - pot roast, chicken breasts, meaty steaks - they're all a lifesaver on a busy evening, and so effortlessly they transform from frozen blocks to delicious meals. You don't have to look up recipes or pick up produce - sometimes you don't even have to chop an onion. You just stick it in, pull it out, and it's done.

But the trouble is, once you start to think about your food, it's hard to stop again. This is what got me moving (slouching, crawwwwwling) toward vegetarianism in the first place - I was sitting, unsuspecting, in a science class one day and learned that our current system of meat production is environmentally unsustainable. Just like that - like it was nothing - I learned that our meaty way of life cannot be sustained. It fills the environment with methane; it destroys the value and the loveliness of our land; and, of course, it causes the lives of countless animals to be cruel, brutish, and short.

But it's not just that kind of thinking that keeps me trying to be a vegetarian. I also think about the great foods I never, ever would have discovered had I not been trying. I recently had a Hempnut burger at Jack of the Wood in Asheville. Would I have ever tried a food by this description were I not trying to be a vegetarian? Would anyone? I gotta say, I doubt it. But it was not only the best non-meat burger I've ever tasted, it was, for me on that day, better than a burger ever would have been. It was delicious. It was great. That's the kind of slightly scary discovery that can happen when you start to think about your food.

So, starting this week, I've set myself a goal of eating meat three times a week - the equivalent of one day of meat per week. Is this doable for me, the chicken nuggets queen? I'm not sure yet - but it's easier than going cold turkey. And I think if I can do it, and if everyone could someday do it, we might suddenly find that we've moved from a meat industry where sustainability is impossible and cruelty is a way of life, to one where sustainability and harmony are natural and cruelty unnecessary.

I'll keep the blog posted on my progress.

5 comments:

  1. I was so excited when I came to the Verdant Human blog to see this new post!! Thanks for contributing!! It is what I had so hoped would happen!
    This past week when noting once again on facebook that I am trying and failing again at Vegetarianism, a good friend noted that we as humans were born with canine teeth and God meant us to use them. I parried back with the comment that basically boiled down to "easy for you to say". This guy is a hunter and fisherman who gets enough venisin (sp?) and catfish to last him through the whole year. He is humane in his hunting and prays over the animal as he guts and cleans it. He has a video of the process that he showed us once and it was not the horror I thought it would be. It was a lot like I imagine the native people of America or other countries doing...sort of thanking the animal and thanking God. So he responded to be by asking how much deer and catfish I need to be sustainable. It got me thinking. Maybe a fishing trip is in order...not up to hunting yet, but I guess there are other ways to be sustainable without totally cutting out meat. In our area, there are so many deer that a humane death by gunshot is alot better and safer to man and beast than getting blasted at 60 miles per hour on the highway.

    But I really appreciate your thoughts about thinking about our food. I found a calorie and fat count on spinach dip this week very disturbing. I mean I came face to face with the fact that the item I may eat just to keep me busy while waiting for my meal is actually calorie dense enough to sustain people in the third world for the whole day. Very sad. We all do need to make more healthy and sustainable choices with our food.

    So I like that you are putting a number on your meat eating. I want to try that too, so there is a goal to meet. And I am going to try buying from a local farmer in the area as well...hopefully the next time I need beef...I will keep you posted on how that goes too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of deer, I was driving down the lane yesterday and there was the cutest buck (I don't know how many points) just meandering along. I continued slowly and he continued slowly. He didn't seem threatened by me or my car. I didn't call out or use any words like "venison" or "yum".

    I have to admit that I have never brought vegetarianism into my realm of serious thought. I never really brought population control into my realm of serious thought either, and now that is somewhat passe. Did you know that world population is supposed to peak and start it's decline in 2050? It is already peaking in the first world and China. How does that affect the numbers on meat and sustainability?

    But I do believe you are right to set a goal of cutting back on meat. As a carnivore, I love my "good meat!" But a salad filled with lots of extras like almonds and cranberries, olives and avocados is also "good mete".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these thoughts. It is so true that there are what I call "worry fads"...things people freak out about that slowly fade from consciousness and were maybe never a problem at all. I too used to worry about over population, but as you noted, we are now facing worries about the affect on shrinking populations on the economy. As I stated above, it is actually a problem if hunters stop culling the deer population in TN.
    I think we bandy the phrase "I want to be a vegetarian" around, at least in our family, with no strong connection with the actual choice of "I plan to never eat meat again" But vegetarians seem to enjoy this, "I am a little bit better than you status" in society currently, so maybe that is why we do it!
    Last night I ate some leftover pizza and baked fries and finished with some pie and ice cream. There was only a few slices of peperoni involved, and I even made the pie from local pears. But when I finished eating I felt sick because it was all junk. The pears were the only somewhat healthy thing I ate. So I like the idea of "Good mete" being our main focus, paired with responsible buying and minimization of waste. But the meat eaters should not feel guilty...we were truely made to eat meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes when I get too panicked about meat consumption or global warming or overpopulation, I take a moment to think about Y2K. We were so wired up about Y2K for so many months, and so many people thought we were all going to die, and then what? Nothing.

    And I do agree - and have found it to be more and more true - that you can eat "vegetarian" and still eat stuff that is so terrible for you, or so processed that it's also doing damage to the environment, etc.

    I'd love to hear more about overpopulation if either of you know a lot about it; I do know, as mom points out, that there are these competing issues - on the other hand, as birth rates drop and the population ages, there are fewer young people to take care of older people and take on necessary jobs, etc. On the other hand, certainly there are still places where the population is outstripping the food and water supply, right? (And don't even get me started on groundwater!) And to what extent is population in China declining due to the "one child policy"? Anyway, I'd love to hear more of what both of you have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the whole Y2K thing is helpful when I think about 2012...I have been worrying about the Mayan Calendar since 7th grade!! But at that time I think the pyramids also fortold the end of the world in 1997...and we all know what happened with that!!

    ReplyDelete