Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I feel cheap...but in a good way...

So I have committed to a homespun Christmas, and the crafting has begun. But as Christmas approaches I find my temptation to shop has also increased. The twinkle lights are up in the mall and the Christmas music is finally welcome to me, although it has been playing for about 3 weeks. And I am in the mood to shop. But I have decided not to, so I am stuck. And I think this brings us to a crux of living verdantly...it is not always comfortable. It is a decision to look temptation in the eye and say "No". Not because one has to (although my committment not to shop is based on some real budgetary limits). But the choice to live verdantly has to do with making some honest choices about life and taking a path, not being swept along where ever the cuture takes you.

So this past Friday I did a little bargain shopping at Gabriel brothers and stopped at Target for a little look, but I did not do the massive spend that I have in previous years. And it felt strange.

So here is a question for you all. What brings you real joy. Because that is my goal this Christmas...less stress and more joy. So what brings you joy?

Family is an obvious one. Loving each other no matter what...even when we don't agree.


Accomplishment also. Setting goals and meeting them.

What else...what do you think?

(I love this picture...there is something so US about it!)

4 comments:

  1. I left out an obvious source of joy to my life...that is my relationship with Christ. That is the main thing I want to focus on this holiday. I had big plans for creating a 5 week advent celebration this year to keep my mind focused on what the holiday is about. However, I have been so busy (and not even with shopping!) that I never got it planned. But if I can just continue to put Him first and try to have my priorities set by Him, I will find more joy in my family and my personal goals than I ever have before. But why is this so much easier said than done? Why do we so easily slip into this worldly mind set, when we know it never leads to true joy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to comment. I have been trying to identify a way that I can spin my own Christmas, but have been having trouble. Still, I will try.

    But joy is another matter. Your pictures definitely bring that to me. I have some myself that I will share with you later, maybe as part of my spin.

    Family and faith are, for sure, my main sources of Christmas joy. Another is music. This season always draws my heart to the music of the season. Singing carols and enjoying the poignant words that remind us of the birth of the child who authored the season and our lives. From the most familiar to the obscure, these songs do bring me joy.

    Silent night! holy night!
    All is calm all is bright
    round yon virgin mother and child
    Holy infant so tender and mild
    sleep in heavenly peace!

    Silent night! holy night!
    Shepherds quake at the sight
    glories stream from heaven afar
    heavenly hosts sing Alleluia
    Christ the Saviour is born!

    Silent night! holy night!
    Son of God love's pure light
    radiant beams from thy holy face
    with the dawn of redeeming grace,
    Jesus, Lord at thy birth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard this Carol this morning on my way to work. It was redone by Casting Crowns, and it was just so beautiful. The words are really timeless and the updated version, to me, took it beyond just a Christmas song to a song about life. But here are the lyrics to their version of the song, which is based on the original poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:

    I heard the bells on Christmas day
    Their old familiar carols play
    And mild and sweet their songs repeat
    Of peace on earth good will to men

    And the bells are ringing
    Like a choir they're singing
    In my heart I hear them
    Peace on earth, good will to men

    And in despair I bowed my head
    There is no peace on earth I said
    For hate is strong and mocks the song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men

    But the bells are ringing
    Like a choir singing
    Does anybody hear them?
    Peace on earth, good will to men

    Then rang the bells more loud and deep
    God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
    The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
    With peace on earth, good will to men

    Then ringing singing on its way

    The world revolved from night to day
    A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
    Of peace on earth, good will to men

    And the bells they're ringing
    Like a choir they're singing
    And with our hearts we'll hear them
    Peace on earth, good will to men

    Do you hear the bells they're ringing?
    The life the angels singing
    Open up your heart and hear them
    Peace on earth, good will to men

    Peace on earth, Peace on earth
    Peace on earth, Good will to men

    ReplyDelete