Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A whole lot of inspiration

So I started this "verdant" journey with the idea that this year, my 30th, would be the year where I would start living a better life in every way. Of course the obvious ones are included, better health, the bikini body I have always wanted, etc. Also, I wanted to become Spiritually verdant, growing and maturing that aspect of myself. I wanted to become economically verdant, both personally and as part of a global economy that, although I probably can't single handedly change, I can at least do my best to not encourage in its wackiness (some may say wickidness).

So today at lunch we were eating at the Wild Cow again, and it was quite busy today I must say! Some at the table suggested that my last blog post had something to do with it. But I digress... We took another picture for the very purpose of this blog post. And as I looked at it tonight, I realized that this table was full of inspiring women. But this blog is about one of those women in particular. Girls, I am giving you all your props, but I want to say a few words about one friend of mine. I will call her RFM.

You see, she probably would not have chosen to eat at the Wild Cow, at least it would not have been a first choice. But she agreed because she enjoys hanging out with the rest of us, and she is almost always up for new things. And that is one thing I admire about RFM. She is not fearful, but boldly goes where she has never gone before! She is flexible and doesn't let things get her down. She rolls with the punches, but watch out, because when needed she can punch back too!

And RFM is honest. She will tell you how it is, she will openly disagree with you, and she will shed light on dark places. And all with the most loving spirit and the righteousness that comes with truth. I love it. I want to be a more honest person, too.

One last quality I want to mention is that she is steadfast. Once she knows she is right where she should be , she will stand firm and stand and stand and stand. This has come through both her strong faith and her life experience. And it is great to see. A real inspiration.

So I say all this to say, if we want to live a verdant life, it is important to surround ourselves with verdant people. People like RFM, or others, like RS who inspired me to start this whole vegetarian experiment. I am so thankful to her for that. Or her sister, who I think was the one who inspired her. Or MR, who not only lives vegetarian, but puts her beliefs into action with the hours and hours of volunteer work she does helping both animals and people who can't help themselves. So today, I felt like I was really part of a power squad.


On another note... I was also thinking again today about the name of this resturant. Here is a link to an interesting article about wild cows. I think India is one of the few places to have wild cows. Quite literally we are talking about jungle cows who, at times, will come out of the jungles and kill humans if they cross their path. To quote the article, "Science cannot defy their logic". If ever there was a phrase to make you want to read on, well, that is it! So I did. It is quite an interesting tale, one that really gives me a new respect for the name "The Wild Cow". I used to think of that name as kind of silly. But a wild cow is not a tame cow, and a cow that is not tame is a cow to watch out for!

I must end this post by quoting the last paragraph of the above noted article. I will tie the two divergent parts of this post together with this... We all should be inspired by something! For some, it is the great people they are surrounded by, for others it can be something as simple as the sight of a wild cow!

"So absorbed were they in relishing the tender shoots of post-monsoonal greenery, they did not notice us. Except for a semiadult male, probably on sentry duty for the herd, who threw its head at us from the safe distance with a belligerence befitting Myke Tyson. The more little you are, the more pugnacious you are! Such little muggins often fall prey to stalking predators. The master bull was at its dignified best, cool and composed, busy grazing on a patch a few ten metres away from the rest of the herd. The ambience was soft enough to make me emotional. I murmured at that majestic wild beast – “for God’s sake, don’t move further south”. The forest boundary was just a couple of miles away southward from that spot."

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I'm so glad you have such verdant friends. I myself had a verdant lunch (baked tofu salad) with a verdant friend today (LH). There is nothing better, except perhaps a wild cow!

    ReplyDelete